Posts Tagged With: coal

Place Names, Fayette County, various years

Hilltop, Red Star, and Glen Jean
Hilltop sat “on the top of the hill which towers above Red Star and Glen Jean.” It was 3 miles away from Oak Hill. The Hilltop post office was originally called Oak Hill. Red Star was a trade name for coal. Glen Jean was named after the wife of Thomas McKell.

Powellton was on Armstrong Creek in Kanawha District. It was named for G.H. Powell, an English coal operator who headed the Mr. Carbon company. The Powellton mine opened in 1888.

Sanger was named for Henry Sanger who settled there in 1849.

Source: Historical Notes on Fayette County, W.Va., by Shirley Donnelly, privately printed, 1958.

Categories: abstracts, extracts, West Virginia | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Blog at